The skewed perspective of a conservative Catholic employee-side employment lawyer living in the most exciting city in the Milky Way, Las Vegas, Nevada USA, who listens to a lot of really strange music and who, for some reason, lives and dies St. Louis Cardinal baseball

2/19/2005

Fingerprintz - "Punchy Judy"

I listened to some vinyl on a rainy Saturday morning here in the ostensible desert of Las Vegas, Nevada USA. Because of sound quality advantages and convenience, I would rather pay a small price for a CD, rather than "rip" my vinyl myself into digital format. That is not an option with a few artists, like Atlanta's The Brains, or L.A.'s The Pop, or Britain's Interview (and I'm defintely the only one clamoring for their material to be gathered onto CD), whose material has not yet made it to CD format. But of all the artists who have not yet been given digital refurbishing, the one I would most like to see on CD is Fingerprintz.

I love all three 'Printz LP's. I even like the EP. One song that has many pleasant memories is off their excellent punky debut The Very Dab. "Punchy Judy" is the Fingerprintz song that I played the most during the year-plus or so that occasionally DJ-ed on "Solitary Confinement," the Sunday night "new wave" show on Georgia Tech's WREK-FM. I only occasionally DJ-ed because I was frequently banned from the studio for a variety of offenses, not all of which were my fault. Actually, now that I think about it, it's probably the single song that I played more times over the air than any other. The song clocks in at a rapid-fire 1:45. It's about a sex toy. Check out the lyrics, which I believe are being posted on the internet for the first time:
Sent away her pennies for electric apparatus
Just what you need
Guaranteed to improve your marital status

Don't wanna end up that way
Don't wanna end up that way

Punchy Judy
State she's in
Punchy Judy
It's a sin
Tsk Tsk tsk

Better off without him

Separated untogether
He took the smile off her face
Bondage swing head in a sling
Hospital case

Punchy Judy
State she's in
Punchy Judy
It's a sin
Tsk Tsk tsk


What makes that an interesting subject for a song is that the Fingerprintz, and their successor in interest, The Silencers, were quite spiritual and at times overtly Christian (but, please, don't call them "Christian Rock").

I agree whole-heartedly with the allmusic site that someone needs to get the 'Printz stuff out on CD. Three spearate CD's, one for each album. The EP can be bonus tracks on The Very Dab. Someone, please.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?