The skewed perspective of a conservative Catholic employee-side employment lawyer living in the most exciting city in the Milky Way, Las Vegas, Nevada USA, who listens to a lot of really strange music and who, for some reason, lives and dies St. Louis Cardinal baseball

3/13/2005

Black Box - "I Don't Know Anybody Else"

It's true that pop music often evokes memories of what was happening when one was listening to a song, even if it is wholly unrelated to the song's actual content. And, for that reason, the controversial[*] Italian disco group Black Box will always have sad memories for me. Four years ago today, I received some bad news while working away at the office. Bad news of the type that leaves you stunned, paralyzed and unable to focus. It was a Tuesday afternoon. I wasn't going to be able to travel to the other side of the country for a day or so. So I just got into my car and drove. Destination irrelevant. I just needed to be alone for a few minutes.

I started blaring the CD in the car CD player. It was Dreamland. Normally, this is upbeat, pumpin' music. Hit the dance floor and don't look back! Now, for me, it's tainted by sad memories. I think I played "I Don't Know Anybody Else" a couple of times to try to lighten my mood and bring me back to earth. It didn't work. It's not Black Box's fault; their CD just happened to be the one playing when I got into my car that afternoon. So, because of four years ago today, this memory-evoking second U.S. single off that CD is the song o' the day.

Footnote: [*] Controversial because of (a) the lip synching of an attractive model to Martha Wash's vocals in the Milli Vanilli era and (b) the uncredited sampling of Miss Loleatta Holloway on "Ride on Time."
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?